Thursday, January 24, 2019

Cooking Dinner

I spent my first night in the Tiny Home this week. In fact I spent 2 nights in a row in the Tiny Home. That means not only sleeping there, but also figuring out how to feed myself. I set up a corner of the room to be "the kitchen". It feels a lot like camping, only indoors. It helps to feel like camping when I'm using all my camping gear. Like my stacking pot/plates/cups/bowl set for 4 people. Everything packs into a tiny space the size of one large pot. Very useful for Tiny Homes too! It works for now. I'll see if I miss the

This is my first dinner - hamburger mash. Not a real recipe, of course, but a one-pot meal (that also happens to meet all the Game On Diet rules, with a large side of green vegetables for appetizer). There's no refrigerator, but with temperatures -20 outside, I just brought a cooler, and set a few things outside overnight. This is pretty easy in the winter time.

I created a simple routine of making dinner, then heating a little water in the dinner pot, and washing everything immediately afterwards.

You can see I have a 2 burner electric hot plate for cooking. I plug it in to the one electric outlet we have access to (from our friends' barn). It sure beats cooking outside in the winter time, but it limits the kind of cooking I can do. Even fewer options than camp cooking when you have a fire or a fast propane stove.

I purchased a camp table from MEC that holds the stove steady, and also has 1 zippered compartment that holds the pot set, tea items, cutlery, condiments, and some snacks. I have faith that the Tiny Home is critter-proof by virtue of it's tight construction, and we won't have to worry about mice nibbling any snacks we leave here. I'll let you know if I find out otherwise!

No comments:

Post a Comment